Monday 19 August 2013

Missing in action!

I've been missing from blogland I know, but there has been lots of action in those 17 days!  However now the gadding about with visiting family has come to an end and my favourite craft fair has been worked towards and is all done and dusted now, things will have to get back to normal in the next couple of days.  


But before the final airport run and getting back to work and the old routine I thought I'd post a few photos to remind me where I've been and show you a bit of our beautiful country to boot!  First a few images from yesterday's Vintage in the Vale Fair - a mixture of vintage loveliness and hand-crafted goodness.  And NO that is not me singing, wearing a WWII style scarf, nor looking beautiful with roses painted round my eyes (isn't she pretty!).


The weather has been kind this summer and on 1st August we enjoyed the seaside at Rhos (Llandrillo-yn-rhos).  The sea was as smooth as a millpond and fishing at the end of the jetty very popular.  I had a lovely paddle too.


A few days later we went further afield to Criccieth - a favourite outing as the little town is where my Mother and Grandmother were born.  We walked up the High Street where my Great Grandfather Hugh opened a grocer's shop in the 1890s and had our tea at No46, newly opened and very friendly.  I hope they do well.


The Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Cymru (National Eisteddfod of Wales) was held nearby this year.  Its a travelling festival and alternates between North and South Wales each year. 


We had a most enjoyable day on the Maes and in the famous pink pavilion.  As well as watching the competitions you need plenty of time to wander round all the stalls - and perhaps spend a few pennies.  My sister and I especially enjoyed browsing a whole stall of handbags donated to raise money for Christian Aid. 


Another lovely day was spent walking along the Llangollen canal and across Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. 




My sister didn't admit till after we'd walked the aqueduct that she wasn't very fond of heights. I might balk myself at the thought of sailing a boat across that narrow trough of water with a sheer drop of 126 feet on one side!


But by then we'd got a taste for heights and our next trip was to the top of the Great Orme at Llandudno. This time we didn't walk - we travelled in style on the tramway. 


There's a fabulous view from the top of the Orme when the weather's good and its a beautiful spot, covered in heather, gorse and wild flowers at this time of year. 



Well are you getting tired yet?  One more trip then.  This time its somewhere I've been meaning to visit for ages and haven't got round to it.  Pistyll Rhaeadr waterfalls.


This time the weather let us down a bit and the sun didn't shine.  The falls didn't disappoint though and as the rocks were wet from the rain we didn't venture to the top - but that's something we can keep till next time.


Oh dear, work in the morning!  Back to earth with a bump then.  I'd better get some sleep!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you've had a great old time! You deserved it, but we've missed you, so its back to the grind now - let's hope you've enough energy left to post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Ann. They will be lovely for you to look back on. Nice to have you back blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have been a busy bee.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photo.s and the girl with the flowers is so sweet. I wish i still had that age, and you??????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly beautiful photos. Especially love the sea photos and waterfall.. you have been missed. Hugs judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful country! I spent a night or two in Cardiff many years ago as a side trip from London, but never had a chance to explore the beautiful country side of Wales--something to dream about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Wow! Wonderful photos of home! I really miss Wales. Super photos of Great Orme and the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct - been a while since I've crossed that! Looks like it's been a lovely summer. I really like your photo of the big pink tent - I remember the very, very wet year when we had it in Mold!!! Thanks - feeling a tad homesick ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment - its hugely appreciated. Ann :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails